Thursday, February 18, 2021

On NOMADLAND

 Back in 2017, I heard reputable veteran film critics on the KPCC Friday edition of AirTalk hosted by Larry Mantle praised a new indie film called THE RIDER. This was during the radio show's hour called FilmWeek. Based on their recommendations, I watched THE RIDER, a very American tale written and directed by Chloé Zhao. The film is about a new definition of masculinity that takes place in Heartland America. A young cowboy suffers a serious head injury while riding. During recovery and afterwards, he has to redefine what masculinity is within himself. The film moved me so that I watched it and then watched it again the next day. In NOMADLAND, writer/director Zhao gives us another American character whose life is in need of redefinition. This character, Fern, is beautifully played by 2-time Best Actress Oscar winner, Frances McDormand.


 
Fern, a widow who deeply loved her husband, finds her small town, pleasant life suddenly upended. She worked for the main company in town. The company goes out of business during the Recession leaving all employees out of work. The town goes broke to such an extent that it loses its zip code. Fern takes to living in a van and traveling the western part of the country. There are great vistas of mountains and fields and deserts. Fern is a whiz. She's self-sufficient, she used to tutor schoolkids, and she's got skills that get her hired for a time at Amazon. As she says to one former student she runs into while shopping, "I'm not homeless, I'm just house-less." She is a nomad. And, along the road, she meets other nomads and hears their stories as they bond. To be suddenly out of work and forced to part with many longtime belongings before hitting the road in search of new employment is a story familiar to many of us within the last 10 years. It's familiar to me. It happened to me 10 years ago. I lost my once-affordable studio apartment in New York. I moved in with a friend in San Francisco and sought employment there. No luck. Then I went to the Sacramento area, back to New York City for a while, then to Connecticut, New Jersey and back to New York City for a few weeks where I got work as a dogwalker. I lived with different friends and a relative.

On the road, without the attention grabbers like the internet, television and such, Fern can hear her innermost thoughts, she can allow true feelings to surface and give voice to them. McDormand does not have the amount of dialogue she had in films such as MISSISSIPPI BURNING, FARGO, ALMOST FAMOUS and THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI. Nevertheless, she expresses a great deal with the tone of her voice, her body posture and, especially, her eyes. You catch her various emotions and she changes along her new road in life. Just like THE RIDER, this is a quiet yet strong film, full of grace and a certain reverence for its lead character. There are middle-aged people in this film who made their acting debuts as nomads and they are excellent. There's also the fine actor David Strathairn as a nomad who becomes romantically taken with Fern's independent spirit. Here's a trailer.


NOMADLAND introduces us to working class people who believed in the American Dream, a dream that didn't quite come true. So they persevered and moved on, helping each other along the way. Watching Fern go west and encounter hardship, friendship, and new feelings in family ties make this a very worth-while road movie to see. Brava to writer/director Chloé Zhao. She did a great job.. NOMADLAND is a Fox Searchlight film.


4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, am very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr olu a great herbal doctor who help me enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal cream mixture, my girlfriend is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you you are also in need of help on how to enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger I adverse you to contact Dr on his email (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) ) you or contact on whatsapp number +2348140654426 because he is one of the best herbal doctor that i can only show you up to, if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within three weeks i Dr olu is also specialized on breast enlargement and boobs enlargement i advise you to contact him for help  


    How can i ever stop saying thank you to Dr  olu    

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am FRED and i want quickly recommend DR NCUBE for a Job well done by
      curing me from the genital herpes disease that have be giving me sleepless night. if you want to contact him, Simply do that via email drncube03@gmail.com or
      call/whatsapp +2348155227532
      he also have #herbs for
      #hiv/aids
      #cancerdisease
      #fibroid
      #diabetes






      I am FRED and i want quickly recommend DR NCUBE for a Job well done by
      curing me from the genital herpes disease that have be giving me sleepless night. if you want to contact him, Simply do that via email drncube03@gmail.com or
      call/whatsapp +2348155227532
      he also have #herbs for
      #hiv/aids
      #cancerdisease
      #fibroid
      #diabetes

      Delete
  2. Am here to appreciate Dr Ogudugu for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one .morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr Ogudugu curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr Ogudugu on his email: greatogudugu@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don’t you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; greatogudugu@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348063739701!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog very is impressive; I am inspired how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this,

    If you ssearching for a legit financial service .Check it out. Link below.
    legit paypal transfer dark web
    dark web financial services .
    Unclaimed Mystery Box
    I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic...

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...