Sunday, October 3, 2021

Some Essential Sinatra.

 My parents loved Frank Sinatra. I loved Frank Sinatra. When I was still pretty fresh from having graduated from Marquette University in Milwaukee, I was in my very humble apartment one Saturday morning and listening to Roy Leonard's radio show out of Chicago. He held a contest that hour, asking for the correct answer to a movie music trivia question. I quickly dialed the number, I got through and I won. The prize was two tickets to hear lots of music sung by a man who starred in movies and even won an Oscar for a performance. I won two tickets to see Frank Sinatra in concert at a theatre in Chicago. This was the mid-1970s.

Not only was Sinatra sensational on that stage with a full orchestra behind him and a packed audience before him, our seats were up close in the absolute first row. My friend, Anna, and I were a couple of the youngest people in that classy, enthusiastic audience. Definitely the youngest couple in that row. After his encores, as he finished his bows and was headed to the wings, Sinatra noticed me standing and applauding wildly. 

He motioned me over to shake his hand. 

I practically levitated with joy as Anna and I left the theatre.

Let's hear some essential Sinatra right now, shall we? One of my favorite recordings of his is "All My Tomorrows" which he sang in his 1959 comedy/drama directed by Frank Capra, A HOLE IN THE HEAD.


He gave one of his best performances in the 1957 biopic, THE JOKER IS WILD. Set in the 1920s, Sinatra played Joe E. Lewis, a troubled yet very popular nightclub entertainer at the time. Written for Sinatra was the song "All the Way." It won the Oscar for Best Song. It's a Sinatra classic.


In 1957, Frank Sinatra had the lead role in the movie version of an early 1940 Rodgers & Hart Broadway musical called PAL JOEY. Gene Kelly had the lead role on Broadway. Years later, Sinatra had the lead role in the movie based on the play. He was the nightclub singer the ladies found irresistible. And he knew it  He was a manipulative, love 'em and leave 'em guy who could thaw out the chilliest of dames. All his vocals are vintage Sinatra. My favorite in the film is his rendition of "The Lady Is a Tramp." Pal Joey sings it to warm up a classy dame played by Rita Hayworth.


I hope you enjoyed the music. I know I did.

1 comment:

  1. Sharing a short piece from the year I began blogging. It involves Frank and my first born: https://www.caftanwoman.com/2008/08/frank-for-all-generations.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...