Tuesday, January 5, 2021

About SOUND OF METAL

Happy New Year. I hope you're well and I wish you the absolute best for 2021. Last year was like a grueling, extreme stress test. I was hit with an unexpected health crisis that put me in the hospital for a couple of days. I had major surgery in October. That experience, followed by my recuperation, gave me a greater appreciation for my wonderful sister and cousin. Their constant attention and love lifted my spirits in that soul-bruising year of a pandemic and dark politics from the White House. Now I'd like to recommend an Amazon Original Movie I saw in which the lead character was hit with a sudden physical crisis that forces him to consider undergoing major surgery. SOUND OF METAL is the name of the film and it boasts some very fine performances. It features two British actors who, I'd swear, had grown up in Southern California considering the performances they gave in this West Coast story. London-born Riz Ahmed is exceptional as the punk-rock drummer with a band who realizes that he's going deaf. The constant loudness of his profession may have accelerated his hearing impairment. 


Ruben the drummer has a North Hollywood blond hair style, a tattooed torso and he works shirtless. The singer with the band is his girlfriend. There's more to these two characters than we see in their punk-rock club performance. Ruben's RV is his home on wheels. The inside is neat, organized and tastefully decorated. His musical tastes runs from classic Bessie Smith blues to 70s soul. While Lou, his girlfriend and the band's singer, sleeps, Ruben exercises. Then he fixes them healthy shakes and a lovely breakfast. Lou is a loyal, honest, intelligent woman -- honest about herself and about Ruben. As musicians. they hit the road for gigs. There are scenes where we see Ruben's bus-like RV is the only vehicle in a parking lot or heading down  a long stretch of road. Ruben is like his RV in those scenes. He wants to go it alone on his road of life. Yet he has this physical disability. Lou knows that he cannot be loner with that physical crisis. He needs to connect to a new community for survival, education and emotional growth. He finds such a community -- a deaf community with a wise, compassionate counselor who's a Vietnam war veteran. Ruben has to learn how to be deaf. Also, he wants cochlear implant surgery to restore his hearing. That surgery is very expensive and not covered by insurance. Raising the money for such a procedure is a challenge. Another challenge, as he learns from the counselor, is to embrace and learn from the stillness the way he embraced the noise of the world. The noise has kept him from hearing the truths of his own wounded, angry soul.

In addition to Riz Ahmed's very fine work, there are the equally exceptional performances from Paul Raci as the Vietnam War vet and British-born Olivia Cooke as Lou. She's excellent opposite Ahmed.


Riz Ahmed has an acting talent that's magnetic. I felt its pull when I saw him as the hard-luck assistant to a mentally imbalanced local L.A. news stringer (one who provides freelance footage) in 2014's NIGHTCRAWLER starring Jake Gyllenhaal. Ahmed is again magnetic as the deaf drummer in SOUND OF METAL.

4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone this is a great testimony that I must share. I never believed in spells or magic not until I met Dr. Ogala My life is back !!! After 3 years of broken marriage, my wife left me with two children. I almost killed myself, I was emotionally broken down. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Ogala who I met online. One faithful day while browsing the internet, I came across a lot of testimonials about this particular caster. Some people testified that he brought their ex-lover back, others testified that he restored their uterus, cured cancer and other diseases, others testified that he could cast a spell to stop the divorce. I also come across one particular testimony, it was from a woman called Sonia, she testified about how he brought her Ex lover back in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email (Drogalad02@gmail.com). After reading all of these testimonials, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via his email and explained my problem to him. In just 48 hours, my wife came back to see me. We have solved our problems, and we are even happier than before, Dr Ogala is truly a talented man, I am not going to stop posting it because he is a wonderful man. If you have a problem and are looking for a real solution and a real spell caster to solve all your problems for you, contact Dr Ogala with his powers He can turn your dreams into reality.
    .................................
    IT CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH:
    1. Bring your boyfriend or girlfriend back
    2. Bring back your husband or wife
    3. Win the lottery and promotion in the offices
    4. Help you get pregnant, if you need a baby
    5. Complete Cure Of Any Kind of Sickness contact him now through: Drogalad02@gmail.Com.. you can Call/WhatsApp with this mobile number +2347049668119 ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello everyone..........I thought the physicians said there is no pills or another way for PENIS ENLARGEMENT !!! I am telling you today that Dr Olu has the product for PENIS ENLARGEMENT and it worked perfectly for me from 3:0 to 8:95 and still counting. Contact Dr Olu for help to Enlarge your penis via Email Address: Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com and also reach him on WhatsApp with mobile number: +2348140654426 Be your brothers keeper by sharing this vital information to other fellow men around the global










































      Hello everyone..........I thought the physicians said there is no pills or another way for PENIS ENLARGEMENT !!! I am telling you today that Dr Olu has the product for PENIS ENLARGEMENT and it worked perfectly for me from 3:0 to 8:95 and still counting. Contact Dr Olu for help to Enlarge your penis via Email Address: Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com and also reach him on WhatsApp with mobile number: +2348140654426 Be your brothers keeper by sharing this vital information to other fellow men around the global

      Delete
  2. My husband changed dramatically towards me, doesn’t communicate anymore.He disrespects me and accuses me falsely of infidelity because of wicked gossip …but I’m simply AMAZED at the results of Dr. Ogudugu who did reunion love spell for me. Everything is going so well and EXACTLY how he said it would be. Even though it took 3 days to fully progress, it was so worth it because things are just about at perfection! How he took my situation and completely turned it around to give me exactly what I wanted is beyond me, but something I will never question and just be completely grateful, God Bless Dr.Ogudugu for turning sorrow into happiness. Dr.Ogudugu contact; greatogudugu@gmail.com/WhatsApp +2348063739701

    ReplyDelete
  3. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail. com or his facebook page https://www. facebook. com/naturaltreatmentcenter1 or website via www. Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress. com

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...