Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Remarkable Raúl Juliá

I am not ashamed to admit this.  When I was new to New York City, I paid to see KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN several times during its theatrical release. I was mesmerized by the artistry of actor Raúl Juliá. His performance as the macho political rebel in a Latin American prison, sharing the cell with a drag queen, had a sweet, intense impact on my spirit -- like having my soul illuminated and transformed by seeing the vision of a saint. One of my longtime friends can attest to that. I took him with me once to see it and he fully understood why I felt the way I did as we were leaving the theater.
If you've never seen Raúl Juliá and William Hurt in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, you need to make a "must-see" appointment with the DVD.
Raúl Juliá was an extraordinary actor who possessed a magnetism that made one let out a little gasp in his presence. I know from personal experience. When I worked for WPIX TV/Channel 11 in New York City, he came into our offices to be interviewed on our local weekday afternoon arts and community affairs show. I was not the only one in the office who gasped and blissfully stared as he walked by with his big, charming self. The next time I gasped was at VH1 as he walked onto the set to be a guest on my talk show.
May is drawing to a close. I just wanted to let you know that PBS is streaming some of its American Masters show in May. One of them is Raúl Juliá: The World's a Stage.  PBS is absolutely correct in calling it "a warm and revealing portrait" of the charismatic, intelligent and passionate actor who went from Puerto Rico to the Broadway stage to a classic film performance. What a wonderful presentation it is -- and what a tragedy that illness took Raul from us way too soon. He added a great light to the world around him.

To see that American Masters portrait -- and others -- click onto this link:

pbs.org/americanmasters.

By the way, you'll see some of my work in it. I'm proud to tell you that American Masters included a clip from my VH1 interview. The actor spoke about 1985's KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN directed by Hector Babenco.

1 comment:

  1. Good day viewers.. please just read this, some times we just need to give a try of herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead man by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2014, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so at that moment i was doing some research about remedy for herpes on my cell phone, so i came across an articles about a lady testifying on how she get cured by the help of a doctor called USELU,so i have to write down the email contact of the doctor that she recommended which is (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) on a very good day i decide to write to this doctor and explain how this virus is killing me slowing, after introducing myself to this doctor after some time i got a reply back from him, and he told me the important of his herbal medicine also how he has cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and all kinds of virus, He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what gradually my body was getting recovery and i was feeling so different than ever after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also contact him Via Email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com)   and give a try i promise if you can stay in touch with Him through his contact email address stated here correctly you wont miss out okay here is the Email once again ( (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) or whatsapp him, +234705289482 and you will give a testimony too wish you Good luck guys

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...