Wednesday, November 3, 2021

On COLIN IN BLACK & WHITE

 Last month on October 30th, I blogged a post about the first two episodes of the Colin Kaepernick biopic, a limited series, on Netflix. Last night, I finished watching the entire series. Wow. Kaepernick's "Trust your power...Love your Blackness" letter at the end of the final episode had me in tears. It was that moving and motivational. Not in a chronological order but imaginatively presented, we get the story of the NFL athlete's life from being a baby adopted by a White couple in Wisconsin through his high school years as a good student and stand-out athlete in Northern California. In addition to his young life story, which he introduces and narrates, the athlete/activist gives us history, serious history about race in America. Race and racial images. 

Those factors play heavily in his young life. Actors Mary-Louise Parker and Nick Offerman are excellent as his parents who love him but don't really help him connect to his Black identity. Notice the inside of his home. There's evidence of Black culture upstairs in Colin's room but not in the living room -- and definitely not in the kitchen. The parents gently try to sway him to invite a White girl to the homecoming dance. Dad points out the cute girl in the crowd that Bruce Springsteen brings onstage to join him in the "Dancing in the Dark" music video of 1984. That girl, we'd all learn later, was Courteney Cox who became a member of the FRIENDS cast. Colin is not interested in her. I used to present that music video during my on-air shift when I was a VH1 veejay in the late 80s. What I always noticed was there were no Black kids in Springsteen's crowd of fans. I think young Colin noticed the same thing. He invites a lovely Black girl to the dance. The scene where he goes to her house to pick her up and meets her sweet family is classic. When he sees the down-home food they have on a dining room table, Colin looks at it as if he just discovered a pot of gold. And when he's asked "Can I make you a plate?," he's in heaven. And he gets his first taste of sweet potato pie. Colin's Caucasian mom, bless her heart, cannot and does not cook like that.

Young Colin has his own dreams for his athletic future and his social life. However, there's a constant tug-of-war in those areas with his White parents and White coaches, They want him to follow their dreams.

COLIN IN BLACK & WHITE struck a nerve in me and touched my heart. Although I have never been an athlete, I did get that "Lord, I have been there" feeling especially in the episodes that touched on "White Privilege" and the "Acceptable Negro." Colin Kaepernick co-created this achingly relevant limited series with director Ava DuVernay. Newcomer Jaden Michael is amazing as teen Kaepernick. Simply amazing,


COLIN IN BLACK & WHITE is one of the finest, most stirring features I've seen this year.

2 comments:

  1. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr.USELU testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i’m so happy! that’s the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email:(dr.uelucaregvier@gmil.com) you can contact him on WHTASAPP +2347052898482 He said have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/
    (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA… AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to appreciate the great work of Dr USELU, i have been diagnosed of HIV virus for 3 years, i have lose all hope that there is a cure and i have been taking medicine to sustain myself not until i got to know about Dr USELU, i contacted him and he sent me his herbal medicine which i took as prescribed by him for some days and i went to the hospital after finishing the herbal medicine. To my greatest surprise i was confirmed HIV Negative after years of being positive, it is indeed a miracle.You can contact him for help. he can also cure the following (1) BRAIN TUMOR (2) LUPUS (3) CANCER (4) HSV-1 (5) HPV (6) HERPES (7) PAD (8) DIABETES etc.. his whatsapp number: (+23470528984.82)   email: dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com  his website: https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...