Sunday, November 7, 2021

Movies for Thanksgiving Day

 For many years, when I lived in New York, I had an entertainment tradition on Thanksgiving Day. Before the big meal and after the watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, I'd watch Woody Allen's HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, a romantic comedy/drama that begins and ends with a turkey dinner. When I was still pretty new to the city, I worked on a local weekday show that aired on WPIX/Channel 11. On it, I interviewed veteran actress Maureen O'Sullivan and Barbara Hershey. The film hadn't opened yet and both ladies from the cast were extremely proud of it. I saw it in a private screening room packed with known film critics. The whole audience gasped with joy at the film's last line. We loved HANNAH AND HER SISTERS. For me, it's one of those films that makes me want to know why the hell Mia Farrow has never, ever been nominated for an Oscar. Not for ROSEMARY'S BABY, THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO, RADIO DAYS, ALICE, BROADWAY DANNY ROSE or HANNAH AND HER SISTERS. Farrow is excellent as the oldest of three grown sisters. She's so dependable and supportive that her needs are often overlooked by her sisters and her husband. It seems as though Hannah has blended into the wallpaper. I'm the oldest of three kids and I saw some of myself in Hannah.

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS brought Oscars in the Best Supporting category to Michael Caine and Dianne Wiest.


Nowadays I include the delightful 2009 feature from director Wes Anderson that's based on a novel by Roald Dahl. It's FANTASTIC MR. FOX featuring voiceover work from George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Willem Dafoe and Bill Murray. Even though life on land in the outside world has grown darker and more perilous, these underground critters learn to take joy in just being together for Thanksgiving. They make each other feel appreciated, despite some differences. I love this film. Humans need to learn from these talking animals.


Wes Anderson's new film, currently out, is THE FRENCH DISPATCH.

Another turkey-centric movie is a 2000 comedy that totally entertained me. I reviewed it for ABC News on Lifetime TV. This comedy did not get a lot of press, but it truly reflected the Los Angeles I know with its racial and sexual diversity. I grew up in Los Angeles. Gurinder Chadha directed and co-wrote this look at four different families in L.A. gathering for Thanksgiving dinner. Her comedy stars Alfre Woodard, Joan Chen, Lainie Kazan, Julianna Margulies, Oscar winner Mercedes Ruehl, Dennis Haysbert and A Martinez. It's a sweet movie called WHAT'S COOKING?


Director Gurinder Chadha grew up in London but she got the L.A. tone just right. She went on to direct the very popular BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (2002).

There you have it. Three films to keep in mind for your home entertainment on Thanksgiving Day.


2 comments:

  1. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr.USELU testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i’m so happy! that’s the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email:(dr.uelucaregvier@gmil.com) you can contact him on WHTASAPP +2347052898482 He said have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/
    (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA… AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to appreciate the great work of Dr USELU, i have been diagnosed of HIV virus for 3 years, i have lose all hope that there is a cure and i have been taking medicine to sustain myself not until i got to know about Dr USELU, i contacted him and he sent me his herbal medicine which i took as prescribed by him for some days and i went to the hospital after finishing the herbal medicine. To my greatest surprise i was confirmed HIV Negative after years of being positive, it is indeed a miracle.You can contact him for help. he can also cure the following (1) BRAIN TUMOR (2) LUPUS (3) CANCER (4) HSV-1 (5) HPV (6) HERPES (7) PAD (8) DIABETES etc.. his whatsapp number: (+23470528984.82)   email: dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com  his website: https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...