Thursday, November 11, 2021

Dinah Shore Music Break

 Network TV gives us THE VOICE and AMERICAN IDOL, shows that introduce us to singing show biz hopefuls in musical competition to be tomorrow's new star. I miss the weekly music variety shows and the network music variety specials that gave us professional, known talent who entertained us by doing what they did best. My generation remembers Dinah Shore as the cool lady who had her own popular daytime talk show in the 70s....AND...had a much-publicized romance with Burt Reynolds. My parents watched Dinah host her very popular weekly music variety show in the 50s. 

Dinah Shore was one of the top female vocalists of the 40s and 50s. Her records spent many weeks in the top five of the Billboard charts. This week, after watching so much cable news, I needed music to refresh my spirits. Here's a reminder that Dinah Shore was not just a daytime talk show host. Here is Dinah on her weekly NBC show with special guest, Peggy Lee.


This is my absolute favorite Dinah Shore vocal. It's from a Danny Kaye movie called UP IN ARMS. Dinah played the army nurse in love with Kaye's G.I. character -- even though he's clueless to it. The movie was a 1944 musical comedy meant to boost moviegoer morale during World War 2. "Now I Know," by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler, was an Oscar nominee for Best Song.


UP IN ARMS is a movie that entertained me many times when I got home from school in my grade school years. It aired frequently on the local CBS late afternoon movie. OK. Here's another Dinah Shore bit. This is a dream sequence jive number from UP IN ARMS with Danny Kaye. Enjoy.





1 comment:

  1. I loved Dinah Shore in this! All of her songs are great, but I have a special fondness for "Tess' Torch Song"...both versions. I know my parents watched her when I was a kid, but I too remember her best as a TV talk show host. And all those movie magazine covers with Burt Reynolds. Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...