Tuesday, November 9, 2021

On PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES (1987)

 A couple of days ago, in my MOVIES FOR THANKSGIVING DAY post, I gave you viewing recommendations for your holiday entertainment at home on turkey day. Another film that's popular on that holiday is the 1987 comedy PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES. It was produced, directed and written by John Hughes. He's the filmmaker who became revered by a certain generation for his 1980s teen comedies SIXTEEN CANDLES, THE BREAKFAST CLUB, PRETTY IN PINK and FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF.

His 1987 comedy, starring Steve Martin as a short-tempered, stranded traveler in New York City trying to get home to Chicago in time for Thanksgiving dinner with his family, showed that Hughes could do more than teen comedies. The lovable, late John Candy had one of the best roles of his movie career as the sweet, chatty guy who becomes an unlikely traveling companion to Martin's character. Both are headed for Chicago. The Steve Martin and John Candy road comedy takes us from New York City to Wichita to St. Louis and, finally, Chicago. I like both stars in the comedy. However, it does have a similar trait I noticed in the John Hughes teen comedies that take place in or around Chicago -- no Black actors have featured roles.

I worked on TV in Milwaukee and spent a lot of time in Chicago in the 80s. I love Chicago. I love its diversity. In the 80s, we saw racial diversity just about every weekday when we looked at the audiences on Oprah's daytime talk show in Chicago. During the press junket for 1984's SIXTEEN CANDLES, I interviewed Hughes and asked him if we'd be seeing Black kids in his future teen comedies. He sort of danced around the question in his answer. When I saw 1986's FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF, I felt that he should've just said "No."

TCM host Dave Karger, mentions in a TCM promo that he's a big fan of the filmmaker who seemed to capture the teen spirit of the 1980s. Karger is a dapper, knowledgeable young man. I'd like to ask him if he can name one Black character from a Hughes teen comedy starring Molly Ringwald or Matthew Broderick.

Here's something to do. If you watch PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES on Thanksgiving Day, keep a notepad nearby and make a mark for every time you see a Black actor in the film who has 5 or more lines. There are counter clerks, cab drivers, bus drivers, motorists...all sorts of other characters in the story that -- as I wrote -- goes from New York City to Wichita to St. Louis to Chicago.


That's what I noticed about movies from filmmaker John Hughes. And that's an aspect I never, ever heard brought up by the weekly movie critics -- predominantly white males -- on TV in those days. 

This is why I push for more representation for people of color not only in the arts, but in the criticism and conversation about the arts. Here's a clip from the 1987 John Hughes comedy.


2 comments:

  1. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr.USELU testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i’m so happy! that’s the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email:(dr.uelucaregvier@gmil.com) you can contact him on WHTASAPP +2347052898482 He said have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/
    (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA… AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...