Saturday, December 31, 2022

Try the GLASS ONION

What's not to love about a movie that has lines such as "That's the hourly dong" and "You're still holding on to his titties!"? Not only that. In the first 15 minutes, we see cameo appearances from Angela Lansbury and Stephen Sondheim.  I saw GLASS ONION, the newest murder mystery starring Daniel Craig as the show tune loving, Southern detective named Benoit Blanc. If you're up for some Greek action, you must see this feature. It played in theaters and it's now on Netflix.

I will not spoil anything. I will give you a little of the set-up. We go back to the year 2020, a year that...to put it frankly,..sucked. Benoit, along with some A-list people, gets invited to a murder mystery game weekend held on a Greek island by a technology billionaire named Miles Bron. He's played by Ed Norton. As you can probably guess, during the weekend of the billionaire's planned game, someone really gets murdered.

GLASS ONION is just too much fun. It has a solid ensemble cast that includes Kate Hudson, moon-faced beefcake wrestler/actor Dave Bautista, Kathryn Hahn and Leslie Odom Jr. Big applause goes to Janelle MonĂ¡e who has a juicy role and really bites into it. She and Daniel Craig connect quite well.

As for Daniel Craig, he's faaaaaabulous. I loved him as James Bond. However, I totally dig him now that he can stretch himself by getting laughs and being less macho. As soon as I saw Benoit in a bathtub with a yellow rubber ducky, I was hooked by this KNIVES OUT mystery. Here's a trailer.


This would have been a great date movie had I seen it in a cinema. And if I had a date. Nonetheless, I saw it by myself on Netflix and had a delightful time. Director and screenwriter Rian Johnson gave us a smart, entertaining who-done-it with beautiful production design, a brisk pace and good acting. I hope GLASS ONION gets an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. 

Speaking of Oscars, here's a tune from a Paramount movie starring Alan Ladd called CAPTAIN CAREY, U.S.A. 

"Mona Lisa" won the Oscar for Best Song of 1950. Nat King Cole had a hit recording with it that you'll hear in GLASS ONION. Enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...