Saturday, December 17, 2022

SPENSER: FOR HIRE Sings

 Actor Robert Urich gained national popularity when he starred on two network TV series -- VEGA$ and SPENSER: FOR HIRE. I was.a fan of both shows. In the late 70s/early 80s, when I was living in Milwaukee and working on the city's ABC TV affiliate, my younger brother and I were watching TV in my apartment. It was the holiday season. Robert Urich was a guest on a special and sang a classic Christmas carol. I think it was "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." My brother and I didn't know he could sing.

In December 1993, I was one of the original on-air trio for a local morning news show on WNBC TV in New York City that premiered in September 1992. The show was called Weekend TODAY in New York. One weekend, I was sent down to Florida to do remote live shots from DisneyWorld. While there, the DisneyWorld publicist arranged for me to tape a short interview of Robert Urich for broadcast that weekend. He was there to be in a DisneyWorld Christmas parade.

I'd never forgotten hearing him sing on a TV special. I found him to be a big, sweet man who had a pleasant way with a Christmas carol in person too. Watch and hear for yourself:


I loved that segment. Still do. Merry Christmas. ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿคถ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...