Friday, April 29, 2022

The Amazing Ann-Margret

 The two-time Oscar nominee turned 81 this week. I think I can trace the beginning of my gayness back to a night with Ann-Margret back in Southern California. I was a little boy and our family went to see a double feature at the Twin-Vue Drive-In in Gardena. We lived in South Central L.A.

The first feature was BYE BYE BIRDIE. When I saw the movie open with Ann-Margret alone onscreen doing this....


....something in my little boy heart shouted "Faaaaaaabulous!" I was hooked. I immediately became a hardcore Ann-Margret fan. In that open, she displayed her musical talent, her warmth, her loveliness, her hipness and her undeniable screen charisma. After that, I was all about Annie. If there was a movie magazine with an article about her, I wanted to buy it. When she was a character in a special episode of THE FLINTSTONES, I had to see it. When she made other movies, aimed at the young generation, I begged my parents to let me see them,

My pre-teen adoration of Ann-Margret wore Mom out. I talked about Ann-Margret a lot. Then one day, Mom said "I have to see why you are so worked up about this Ann-Margret." Mom had been caller number 1 with the correct answer to a trivia question contest on a local radio station. She won lunch for 2 at a semi-swanky restaurant in Hollywood. She called a friend who was also a co-worker and said "On Saturday, let's go have lunch in Hollywood and then there's a movie I want to see that's playing near the restaurant."

The movie was the drama THE CINCINNATI KID starring Steve McQueen, Karl Malden, Edward G. Robinson, Joan Blondell -- and Ann-Margret.

When Mom got home, she said this to me about Ann-Margret: "Oh, honey. she's good. Like back in my day. She'll do these BYE BYE BIRDIE movies for you kids, then she's gonna move up because she's good -- like Joan Blondell and Barbara Stanwyck good."

Ann-Margret had delighted young audiences in THE PLEASURE SEEKERS, KITTEN WITH A WHIP and VIVA LAS VEGAS.

Then, she did indeed move up. She got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for CARNAL KNOWLEDGE directed by Mike Nichols. She got a Best Actress Oscar nomination for the rock musical drama TOMMY. 

She also excelled in made-for-TV movies. She got raves for her performance as Blanche DuBois in an ABC TV production of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.  In 1983's WHO WILL LOVE MY CHILDREN?, based on a true story, she played an Iowa mother of ten who is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Her husband is an irresponsible alcoholic so she works doggedly to find loving families for her children once she's gone. The performance brought Ann-Margret a lead actress Emmy nomination.

Her work brought about this memorable moment from the winner -- Barbara Stanwyck. Watch this clip.


Mom was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...