Monday, September 7, 2020

Belafonte's SIT-IN on NBC

This was such a historical week in network television that my parents let me stay up late on a school night to see some of it. The famous host of NBC's TONIGHT Show, Johnny Carson, was on vacation for a week. He let Harry Belafonte sit-in as his guest host for that week in February 1968. In a racially turbulent and politically intense decade, a famous Black entertainer was segregating the field of nighttime hosts on network TV -- at least, for that one week. Top name show biz talent appeared with Belafonte. He also booked presidential hopeful, Senator Robert F. Kennedy. In addition to Bobby Kennedy, Harry Belafonte book his dear friend and fellow civil rights activist, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Again, this was a week in February 1968. In April that same year, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot and killed. In June that same year, Sen. Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed. Yes. It was a racially turbulent and politically intense decade. Also in 1968, Belafonte was the special guest on Petula Clark's NBC music/variety special. Network execs had forbidden her to touch Belafonte during their duet. The network executives were afraid they'd lose sponsors if there was interracial touching. Petula Clark was executive producer of the special. She did what she bloody well wanted. Pet defied NBC execs. She sang with and touched Harry Belafonte.

Writer/producer Joan Walsh and director Yoruba Richen revisit that historic week in a new documentary called THE SIT-IN. I am extremely proud to have helped those two extraordinary women a bit in the production of it. Watch the trailer:

When Johnny Carson died in 2005, a longtime film critic and entertainment reporter did an obituary feature on local and network NBC. He pretty much credited Carson with booking and conducting the Dr. Martin Luther King interview. That error put a major knot in my neck because I remember watching Belafonte with Dr. King on the TONIGHT Show when I was a kid in South Central L.A. That Caucasian journalist had overlooked some major Black history that occurred right there in 30 Rock in 1968. And no one corrected him.

If you see THE SIT-IN, you'll see me give a soundbite or two in the documentary. Here's the backstory as to how I became involved with the wonderful Joan Walsh: I had written blog posts about the fact that Harry Belafonte hosted the TONIGHT Show for a week in 1968 and he was the one who went up against network brass opposition to book Dr. King as a guest. NBC execs were afraid they'd lose sponsors if Dr. King sat down and started talking about civil rights. After my three years as a veejay and talk show host on VH1 -- three of the happiest years of my career -- a fellow former VH1 employee introduced me to Chiz Schultz. Chiz was aware of my VH1 work. We met, hit it off like old neighborhood buddies, and had dinner. Chiz was on the TONIGHT Show production team the week Belafonte hosted. That week was the beginning of their long, beautiful friendship. Chiz left the late night NBC show.  He went on to co-produce the 1970 film, ANGEL LEVINE, starring Harry Belafonte and Zero Mostel. Chiz was also a producer of 1984's A SOLDIER'S STORY which was an Oscar nominee for Best Picture of 1984. He's in the list of producers for Spike Lee's current film airing on Netflix, DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS.

In 1991, I asked to be a guest host a few times on CNBC's early live Saturday night hour-long talk show. I asked Chiz Schultz to come on for one appearance to talk about working with Harry Belafonte that memorable NBC week. He was a terrific guest and confirmed that NBC execs considered Dr. King, a Nobel Peace Prize recipient, to be "too radical." Joan Walsh went online and found a blogpost I wrote about about on TONIGHT. She contacted me. I gave this info to Joan, she took the ball and ran with it to make a touchdown.

I was contacted by WNBC local news execs to round-out the early morning trio of a new show, WEEKEND TODAY IN NEW YORK. I was there from its premiere episode in September 1992 to January 1995. I quit because one Caucasian producer felt I didn't have "the skills" to do film reviews and cover entertainment on a regular basis. (I wanted to do weekly film  reviews because Black people are rarely seen doing film reviews on TV -- and I did weekly film reviews on the ABC affiliate in Milwaukee in the early 80s. As for covering entertainment, I had my own talk show on VH1 and I'd been a guest host on CNBC.) The news director, at that time, told me that my work was excellent and I was popular with viewers. But, I would only be a part-time employee, never full-time, and I would not advance to NBC network exposure. I'd only be local on weekends. The day he told me that, I gave my two weeks notice. As a Black person there, I felt I was not subject to equal opportunities. I walked away from a hit show.

Seeing Harry Belafonte sit-in for Johnny Carson made a tremendous impact on me when I was a kid. THE SIT-IN airs on MSNBC Saturday, September 12th at 10p Eastern/9p Central. If you can, please watch. With deep gratitude, I thought of the door Harry Belafonte opened when I had my own prime time celebrity talk show on VH1 in 1988. I was the first Black talent to get his own weeknight talk show on VH1. Here's what I did:


5 comments:

  1. Good day viewers.. please just read this, some times we just need to give a try of herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead man by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2014, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so at that moment i was doing some research about remedy for herpes on my cell phone, so i came across an articles about a lady testifying on how she get cured by the help of a doctor called USELU,so i have to write down the email contact of the doctor that she recommended which is (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) on a very good day i decide to write to this doctor and explain how this virus is killing me slowing, after introducing myself to this doctor after some time i got a reply back from him, and he told me the important of his herbal medicine also how he has cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and all kinds of virus, He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what gradually my body was getting recovery and i was feeling so different than ever after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also contact him Via Email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com)   and give a try i promise if you can stay in touch with Him through his contact email address stated here correctly you wont miss out okay here is the Email once again ( (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) or whatsapp him, +234705289482 and you will give a testimony too wish you Good luck guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. After 9 years in marriage with my hubby{TONY DWAYNE} with 3 kids, my husband{TONY DWAYNE} started going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet Dr. ikhide who help people with the relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a spell and within 24hours my husband {TONY DWAYNE} came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with ladies and he his with me for good and for real. Contact this great spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem at email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com or whatsapp :- +2349058825081
    so you can also be happy just like me and dont be ashamed contact this dr ikhide today and fix all your problems/issues here is the contact via email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com or whatsapp :- +2349058825081

































    After 9 years in marriage with my hubby{TONY DWAYNE} with 3 kids, my husband{TONY DWAYNE} started going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet Dr. ikhide who help people with the relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a spell and within 24hours my husband {TONY DWAYNE} came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with ladies and he his with me for good and for real. Contact this great spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem at email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com or whatsapp :- +2349058825081
    so you can also be happy just like me and dont be ashamed contact this dr ikhide today and fix all your problems/issues here is the contact via email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com or whatsapp :- +2349058825081

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to let the world know about Doctor AKHERE the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor AKHERE used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor AKHERE because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor AKHERE today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor AKHERE email is: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when i was was tempted to try it. i and my wife have been having a lot of problem living together, she will always not make me happy because she have fallen in love with another man outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my wife leave this woman but the more i talk to her the more she makes me fell sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because she no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my wife again. this spell caster who was a man told me that my wife is really under a great spell that she have been charm by some magic, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my wife and after 5 days my wife changed completely she even apologize with the way she treated me that she was not her self, i really thank this man his name is Dr Odion he have bring back my wife back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email is wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com he is a man and his great. wish you good time.
    He cast spells for different purposes like
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dream
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) HIV/AIDS CURE
    (10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery

    Contact him today on wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348136482342

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...