Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Academy and Women Directors

The skills of women directors have gotten actors and films in the running for top prizes on Hollywood Prom Night since the early 1930s. Yes, I mean the night the Academy Awards are presented. Ruth Chatterton, excellent as the middle-aged wife desperately trying to cling to her youth in William Wyler's DODSWORTH (1936), was a Best Actress Oscar nominee for 1930's SARAH AND SON. She was the first actor nominated for a performance in a film directed by a woman. SARAH AND SON was directed by trailblazing director Dorothy Arzner.
Since then, a number of women have directed performers and films to Academy recognition. For example:

Randa Haines directed Marlee Matlin (Best Actress winner), William Hurt and Piper Laurie to Oscar nominations for CHILDREN OF A LESSER. The film was a nominee for Best Picture of 1986.
Penny Marshall directed Robert De Niro to an Oscar nomination for AWAKENINGS. The film was a nominee for Best Picture of 1990.
Barbra Streisand directed Nick Nolte and Kate Nelligan to Oscar nominations for THE PRINCE OF TIDES. The film was a nominee for Best Picture of 1991.
Lone Scherfig directed Carey Mulligan to an Oscar nomination for AN EDUCATION. The film was a nominee for Best Picture of 2009.
Ava DuVernay directed SELMA. The film was a nominee for Best Picture of 2014.
In Oscars history, five women have been nominated for Best Director. The above five women who directed Best Picture Oscar nominees are not in that list of five. The women nominated for Best Director in Oscars history are Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Kathryn Bigelow and Greta Gerwig.

Bigelow was nominated -- and won -- for THE HURT LOCKER. It also won the Best Picture prize. Bigelow did not get nominated for her second Best Picture nominee, 2012's ZERO DARK THIRTY. Gerwig was nominated for 2017's LADY BIRD, a Best Picture nominee. She did not get nominated for her second Best Picture nominee, LITTLE WOMEN.
Mel Gibson directed two Best Picture Oscar nominees -- BRAVEHEART (1995) and HACKSAW RIDGE (2016). Gibson got a Best Director Oscar nomination for each film.

This month, Greta Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN is an Oscar nominee for Best Picture. Cast members Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh are Oscar nominees. Tom Hanks is an Oscar nominee for A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD directed by Marielle Heller. Cynthia Erivo is an Oscar nominee for HARRIET, directed by Kasi Lemmons.

But no woman got nominated for Best Director this year.

On Twitter, I saw the TIME magazine article "Why do the Oscars keep shutting women out of Best Director? This one Academy rule explains it." Eliana Dockterman wrote the enlightening article.

The main snag seems to be a lack of diversity in the Academy branch that chooses who gets a nomination. As the magazine journalist wrote, "There just aren't that many women choosing the nominees" and the directors' branch selects the director nominees.

As a longtime film and film history enthusiast, plus having 30 plus years of entertainment news reporting/TV interviewer/host work in my credits, I assumed that was the case. The branch of directors is still, it seems, predominantly a Caucasian boys' club. Couple this with Academy rules that can frustrate women directors. In order to be on the branch, you must have two director credits and those films must "reflect the high standards of the Academy."

This is why I, for years and years, have wanted to scream like John the Baptist, a voice in the wilderness. I've wanted to scream "Network and local TV need to bring on movie critics of color on a regular basis! Not just when it's Black History Month!" We people of color on TV who've reviewed films and filed entertainment reports have a razor-sharp awareness of the barriers faced by marginalized talents in the entertainment industry. We've been there. In my years on local and network TV news programs, I constantly faced resistance when I wanted to interview new Black/Latinx actors and women directors. The executive response was "No one knows who they are." That was the very damn reason why I wanted to give them airtime! We Black/Latino performers may be getting national exposure, but we often have to hit up our white buddies for a recommendation on representation. Agents had a history of not signing talent of color because white performers got work that paid bigger money and brought in a bigger commission. So we Black/Latino folks often have to network in order to line up our next gig and attract an agent. Actors of color and women directors may have a current project that's met with critical acclaim but they will not get the huge promotional budget that white actors/veteran filmmakers get. So they truly, madly, deeply appreciate attention from the press because it could help them line up a second project.

In 1999, I hosted a local New York City cable show called METRO MOVIES. I loved that show and the humble crew. Our main objective was to spotlight up and coming indie filmmakers. One day the staff received a huge thank-you basket of muffins and other edibles. It was from director Kimberly Peirce in gratitude for giving her airtime to talk about her film, BOYS DON'T CRY. She said that she was not getting attention from mainstream outlets like the morning news programs. At that time. Eventually, word spread and its star, Hilary Swank, won the Oscar for Best Actress.

One of the times I interviewed Mel Gibson was when he was promoting 1997's CONSPIRACY THEORY. By then, he owned a Best Director Oscar for BRAVEHEART. I brought up the fact that women who directed Best Picture nominees -- as he did -- didn't all have his luck and get nominated for Best Director. I mentioned the multiple nominations for THE PRINCE OF TIDES, including Best Picture, but Barbra Streisand was shut out for Best Director.

I asked him if the Academy should be consider a rule change. My proposed change was -- the films that get nominated for Best Picture also come with a nomination for Best Director.

Mel replied, "No. It's fine the way it is."

What do you think about my rules change idea? If a film gets an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, its director automatically becomes a nominee for Best Director. Do you think that would help level the playing field a bit more?

7 comments:

  1. Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.










































    Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for the best help? Have you been searching all over to find a professional and real African traditional herbalist? If your answer to these questions is “YES”, then you have come to the right place! We are determined to offer exactly what you’re seeking: Fast and everlasting results! From love problems to money and Family, we provide the most authentic remedies you’ve ever encountered.
    All my spells are genuinely proven .No spell has ever failed to bring about the desired effects. Best spells ever from the best experienced spell caster. I help where others have failed.
    Check from my list below and point to your problem. However, even if your problem
    does not fall in the category below, don’t hesitate to email it to ME, I shall venture into it and I will of course cut open your problem and solve it.
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted at work or in your offic WSe.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be extremely rich.
    (7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Have you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money.
    (10) If you want to stop your divorce.
    (11) If you want to divorce your husband.
    (12) Pregnancy Ritual to conceive baby
    (13) Guarantee you win the troubling court cases & divorce no matter how what Stage
    Email. droguduspelltemple.1@gmail.com WhatsApp at. +23408129150818.

    ReplyDelete
  3. few weeks ago i left some pains and i want to the hospital my doc told me i had HPV about 1 year and i need to start the treatment early he gave me some medicine to be taking and i told him no i will not because i hated taking medicine when i wont not see cure for the purpose after i got home i started getting worried searching for strong advice and i found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got HPV cure from Dr onokun and i email Dr onokun 3 days passed i purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured i went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative contact him on email :Dronokunherbalcure@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Aire the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Aire write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Aire instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now drairehome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2347036740271. And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete

  7. The best herpes remedy online…

    Thank you!! for saving my life,

    I am cured from herpes

    His result is 100% guarantee.

    Robinsonbuckler11 ((@ gmail. com ))

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...