Friday, January 10, 2020

About Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN

Have you the new LITTLE WOMEN written and directed by Greta Gerwig? Several times have I seen the 1933 adaptation directed by George Cukor and starring Katharine Hepburn as Jo March. I've seen the deluxe 1949 MGM studio remake directed by Mervyn LeRoy a number of times. I've enjoyed the 1994 remake directed by Gillian Armstrong from a screenplay adaptation by Robin Swicord. I admit it. I love the LITTLE WOMEN story. Ailing Beth's goodbye to Jo, Jo getting her hair cut and selling it to get money to help their mother, Jo telling Professor Bhaer that his empty hands are "Not empty now" -- those scenes touch my heart in all those three productions. This new adaptation is worth seeing. It's alive and fresh. It's unexpectedly different. If I had not seen the older versions, I may not have been able to follow the story as well as I did. That's not a criticism of Gerwig's version. She gives a marked modenity to the aged narrative.
Greta Gerwig not only honors what we have loved about those previous big screen versions, she has rearranged the story's molecular structure in order to introduce new information about author Louisa May Alcott that makes the entire film feel like it's based on a contemporary novel. It is so vibrant and complicated and relevant to today. Gerwig takes well-known scenes beloved from the earlier adaptations and gives them a new interpretation. To me, Gerwig's version celebrates women's independence, creative spirit and their need to distinguish themselves in areas other than marriage -- marriage as expected by society. The remarkable Saoirse Ronan stars as Jo March, the determined aspiring writer of the family. Meryl Streep also stars in the film as rich and crotchety Aunt March.
The opening shot. We see a publishing office. The glass door is closed. A woman stands before it, her head bowed as if she's going to charge and ram the door open. She enters the publication office and we see that she is the only woman in it. The office is full of men, all working. To them, she's pretty much invisible. No one stands to welcome her or offer her a seat. The woman is Jo March and she's there to negotiate with the editor, Mr. Dashwood. He wants extensive edits to be made in her story, but he will publish it. She disagrees with his philosophy that "morals don't sell nowadays" in reference to the kind of fiction readers like. She especially disagrees with his editor philosophy that a main female character must be "married by the end. Or dead" in order for the story to sell.

This scene, set in post-Civil War times, is just like Meryl Streep's opening scene in the Steven Spielberg journalism drama, THE POST, set in 1970s Washington, D.C. Streep plays Washington Post publisher Katherine Graham. She has a restaurant breakfast meeting with her male editor, played by Tom Hanks. She's the only woman in the fully-occupied restaurant area. No man stands to greet or help her when she drops some of the paperwork she's carrying. To them, she's pretty much invisible. Katherine will be treated by men as though she's invisible as the story progresses. Her opinion never seems to matter as much to the businessmen around her concerned about the fate of the newspaper. This will change when she finds her voice as groundbreaking female boss battling the Nixon administration.

Gerwig's scene of Jo March in the male-dominated publication office is new. We didn't see that in the 1933, the 1949 or the 1994 versions. Greta Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN gives the story a kinship to Spielberg's THE POST and Craig Brewer's DOLEMITE IS MY NAME starring Eddie Murphy. Her film is about when who have been told by society that they're not good enough, that their opinion don't matter as much, women who have been treated as though their invisible. Think of Lady Reed, the full-figured black woman in the hilarious and touching DOLEMITE IS MY NAME. She's played beautifully by Da'Vine Joy Randolph. When the crew of misfits led by Rudy Ray Moore (Murphy) actually gets their movie made and booked for a theater premiere, Lady Reed says to Moore: "I'm so grateful for what you did for me, cause I'd never seen nobody that looks like me up there on that big screen." Gerwig honors the marginalized. She lets them raise their voices.

Laura Dern is a wonderful Marmee, the mother. You feel that she and Saorise Ronan are truly related. When you see this Marmee's social activism in her community, when you hear her admit to having angers in a society that treats women as second class citizens and sold Black people like chattel, you see that Jo is most definitely her mother's daughter.

We're in New England in post-Civil War times. However, Gerwig's version presents the March sisters like they're the offspring of liberal, responsible parents in the San Francisco area in the post-hippie era. Here's a trailer.

I wrote posts last November and December about the late British screenwriter and movie director, Muriel Box. She won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (THE SEVENTH VEIL, 1945). She went behind the camera and directed entertaining films in the 1950s. Unfortunately, critics were dismissive to her trailblazing 1950s films mainly because she was a woman. Muriel Box's favorite theme to focus on in her films was "the female experience." Greta Gerwig is doing that today in a way that would make Muriel proud. Look at her Oscar-nominated LADY BIRD, also starring Saoirse Ronan, and now LITTLE WOMEN. As Amy, Florence Pugh is excellent. Timothee Chalamet, Chris Cooper and Bob Odenkirk co-star.

Robin Swicord, screenwriter of the 1994 LITTLE WOMEN remake, is a producer of this Greta Gerwig version. Robin Swicord also directed a  film. She directed a very smart and entertaining one that deserved more attention than it got. It's the funny and romantic 2007 film, THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB with fine performances from Emily Blunt, Maria Bello, Lynn Redgrave, Jimmy Smits and Hugh Dancy. Swicord also wrote the screenplay based on a novel of the same name. Check out that movie sometime. Check out LITTLE WOMEN. Let's support women directors.





10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Oyagu and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322.

    ReplyDelete
  3. few weeks ago i left some pains and i want to the hospital my doc told me i had HPV about 1 year and i need to start the treatment early he gave me some medicine to be taking and i told him no i will not because i hated taking medicine when i wont not see cure for the purpose after i got home i started getting worried searching for strong advice and i found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got HPV cure from Dr onokun and i email Dr onokun 3 days passed i purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured i went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative contact him on email :Dronokunherbalcure@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  5. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT CURED TOTALLY FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU 
    I want to inform the public how i was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ishiaku. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convinced to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of herpes so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or whats-app him via + 2348180828544 and get all your problems solved.1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, herpes, HIV/AIDS CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour
    7)eye or ear problem
    8) enlargement of manhood 
    you can also visit his website for information www.ishiakuherbalcure.wordpress.com  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr Ishiaku herbal medicine is mighty and genuine,I use to use Mellisa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same. But using @Dr_ishiaku herbal medicine cured my herpes final and I have being living for 2 years now No Sores. My herpes is truely gone. Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine too. @Dr_ishiaku can as well cure the following HIV/AIDS,COPD,FIBROID,ASTHMA,DIABETES,SICKLE-CELL,EPILEPSY,HEPATITIS,CANCER,LOVE SPELL CASTER...EMAIL:  Ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com WHATSAPP :+2348180828544  WEBSITE: www.ishiakuherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. . Am here to appreciate Dr Oreri for using his herbal medicine to cure me from HERPES virus. Over for years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to prevent outbreak because the doctor told there was no cure. On one faithful morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr.Oreri curing people from Herpes virus, HIV/AIDS,HPV immediately i contacted Dr. Oreri on his email and i told him about my infection and he told me that i must be cured and gave me some instructions which i rightly followed. And so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for one week and everything was like a dream to me when i test HERPES negative and the virus was totally gone, why don't you contact Dr Oreri today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. Contact him on email: droreriherbalhome@gmail.com whatsapp number +2348143819029. https://mobile.facebook.com/Dr_Oreri-236464307657039/?ref=opera_speed_dial ?
    IF YOU NEED HELP  EMAIL ME TERESALYNNA70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Aire the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Aire write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Aire instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now drairehome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2347036740271. And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no other medication that can cure herpes and other STDs, or STIs, permanently, i have come to find out that herbal medication is the only form of medication that has cured herpes successfully, i was once tested positive of herpes but herbal medicine i got from Dr Ofua Ofure help me to get rid of herpes totally, now am free from herpes virus permanatly. contact dr ofua ofure (thegreatherbalhealinghome@gmail.com) to know more about his herbal healing products.
    (dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site) or call/whastapp +2347059497969

    ReplyDelete
  10. HERPES INFECTION CURE IS 100% AVAILABLE WITH THE HELP OF DR OGBERAESE HERBAL MEDICINE.Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man Called Dr Ogberaese. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Ogberaese , i came in with his email through a friend in USA called Edith Rose and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV1&2 to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through his email drogberaese54@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073818653

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...