Thursday, January 9, 2020

I Want More Hamm!

He deserved all the praise from critics he got for his work on MAD MEN. His 1950s white collar character was dark, mysterious, slapable and yet you had sympathy for him. Jon Hamm's performance anchored that new series and helped establish AMC's new identity. Remember when those letters stood for American Movie Classics and, like TCM, it showed a daily diet of classic movies aired without commercial interruption and presented by hosts? MAD MEN ushered in the new era and new identity as a channel bringing you original, scripted programming. Hamm, a big and handsome hunk o' man, was powerful and fascinating as Don Draper. Not only was his talent impressive, his look was perfect for that character. Also, he has the looks of a movie star from the Classic Hollywood era.
Then I saw Jon Hamm on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE and I howled with laughter. He could go from playing that often cold-hearted corporate character to being an absolutely clueless dork in sketch comedy -- and getting big laughs. He's got solid dramatic chops and the gift of goofiness. Did you see BRIDESMAIDS? He's perfect as the constantly horny and intellectually limited boyfriend to Kristen Wiig's Milwaukee character. Hamm and Wiig did sketch work together on SNL.
If Jon Hamm was around in the 1940s and 50s, he'd have been sought by directors such as Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder and Howards Hawks. Those guys would've known how to fully utilize and spotlight his comedy skills. So far, no current movie director has done that with Hamm in a starring role. My cherished Twitter buddy, author Thomas Pluck, feels that Jon Hamm needs a good comedy role in a movie. I agree. Tommy suggested something like the part George Clooney played in O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? from the Coen Bros.
If not a starring role, like Clooney's in O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?, then I suggest a wacky supporting role -- like Michael Palin's as Pontius Pilate with a speech impediment in MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN.

About the Coen Bros. and O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? As filmmakers, they were heavily influenced by the 1940s screwball comedies written and directed by Preston Sturges, a noted director I mentioned earlier in this post. They rarely mention this influence in interviews I've read or heard. They seemed reluctant to give Preston Sturges a credit the one time I interviewed them and brought up his name. However, you can see his famous influence in their 2000 film. In a Larry King interview on CNN in 2006, Clint Eastwood enthusiastically explained how the 1944 Preston Sturges comedy, HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO, inspired the issues he addressed in his film, FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS. The Coen Bros. credited Homer's epic poem, THE ODYSSEY, as the inspiration for their original screenplay, O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU?

See SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, the 1941 comedy classic written and directed by Preston Sturges.
Joel McCrea stars as a young, successful Hollywood producer. He's known for a string of hit comedies and musicals comedies. But with all the strife in the world, he longs to make a dramatic, heavily serious film that reflects the grim reality of modern times. He wants to do a film version of a critically acclaimed, grim novel called -- O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU?
Of course, his studio team tries to talk him out of it. One chimes in with the truthful statement that Hollywood producer John Sullivan doesn't know anything about hard times because he's had a life of comfort and success. Sully agrees. So he decides to hit the road alone and incognito. He'll dress as a hobo, wander, and get to know the average person along the way.  Sully gets more than he bargained for in his travels. He finds true love.

Later, on the long road odyssey alone and still dressed as a hobo, he'll get knocked unconscious, unjustly convicted of a crime and sentenced to work on a chain gang. He's without identification and down South. Don't worry. Sturges will somehow manage to give us a fabulous happy ending.

Watch SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS and then watch O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?  I'll be busy imagining Jon Hamm saying "Biggus Dickus."



7 comments:

  1. few weeks ago i left some pains and i want to the hospital my doc told me i had HPV about 1 year and i need to start the treatment early he gave me some medicine to be taking and i told him no i will not because i hated taking medicine when i wont not see cure for the purpose after i got home i started getting worried searching for strong advice and i found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got HPV cure from Dr onokun and i email Dr onokun 3 days passed i purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured i went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative contact him on email :Dronokunherbalcure@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I Came across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhota cure them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr Ebhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through the same situation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on curing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Aire the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Aire write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Aire instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now drairehome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2347036740271. And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I separated recently. We’ve been married for six years now and it’s been an abusive relationship in all types of way. I want to figure out myself and fix my own issues so I can be a great mom and wife but I feel like is a waste of time to try to fix my marriage because it’s broken down and I’m emotionally drained and I just want to focus on my kids. And I feel it’s unfair for me to try to fix something that I’m the only one that’s putting effort into. I’m so confused. That had been my decisions until i came across an article in a blog on how Dr.Ogudugu (greatogudugu@gmail.com) helped many people to restore broken marriages/relationships. I quickly contacted him, and he told me what i should do, which i did immediately. Within 48hours my husband came back and the greatest part of it is that my husband has changed completely, he no longer abuses or insults me. Today, he has become a loving and caring husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Email Robinsonbuckler11@gmail com. Thanks and God Bless you for your help, referring people with herpes disease to use this herbal remedy__________________________🌿🌿🌿

    Good for the following

    Shingles,

    Cold sore,

    HPV,

    HSV1&2,

    Fibroid

    Erectile Dysfunction..

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...