Tuesday, June 6, 2023

I Loved Astrud Gilberto

 We had records by her in our home when I was a kid in Los Angeles. To me, the voice of Astrud Gilberto was the voice of Bossa Nova -- the voice of foreign spots I wanted one day to visit. That lilting voice of hers was the perfect companion to a sweet summer day. Her voice was like a tender embrace.

News came from her son that Gilberto passed away this week at age 83. Today's younger audience may be unfamiliar with her vocal stylings and some older audience members may have forgotten it.  So, in her memory, I'm posting a couple of what became her signature tunes. Here's her gender switch rendition of the song titled "The Girl From Ipanema."


I love her rendition of "My Foolish Heart."


And now.... "Corcovado."

Thank you for taking time to treat your ears to the wonderful Astrud Gilberto.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...