Saturday, April 29, 2023

About MICHELLE PFEIFFER

 I started my professional TV career in the fall of 1979 as a once-a-week movie critic on Milwaukee's ABC affiliate. During that time, I went to a downtown Milwaukee screening room to see an upcoming, new movie release. It was GREASE 2, a 1982 follow-up to the hugely successful movie musical, GREASE.

I felt that GREASE 2 was rather tepid.  However, there was one cast member whose work hit me like a bolt of sweet lightning. Not only was she a major babe, she had major talent and undeniable screen charisma. After the movie ended, I asked the publicist, "Who was that blonde?"  The answer was...Michelle Pfeiffer

In the late 80s, I had my own prime time celebrity talk show on VH1. Actor Beau Bridges was my guest for one edition and revealed that he and his brother, Jeff Bridges, would be playing bickering brothers who are a piano duo act in a new movie. He added that they were looking for "the right girl" for the female lead of the singer brought into the act.

The right girl was certainly found. Michelle Pfeiffer played the female lead in 1989's THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS, one of the best American films of the 1980s. The performance brought her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.

Today is Michelle Pfeiffer's birthday. 

I flew my mom in to New York to visit me and be entertained for a few days. I took her to see THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS.  It was about the third time I'd seen it. After the movie, Mom said this about Michelle Pfeiffer: "She's about the best thing since Barbara Stanwyck!"

Here's a reminder of how good that movie is --


Here's a trailer from another film that earned Pfeiffer one of her three Oscar nominations. It's for 1992's LOVE FIELD.


Happy Birthday to Ms. Pfeiffer. She sure has come a long, long, fabulous way since GREASE 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...