Monday, February 28, 2022

A TED LASSO Update

 I don't get Apple TV and, therefore, don't see each new episode of TED LASSO when it airs. Previously, I've blogged my high praise for this sitcom starring former SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE cast member Jason Sudeikis. Thanks to my being a paid-up member of Screen Actors Guild, I received the second season of TED LASSO on DVDs.

I binge-watched the second season and it left me in awe. The writing and performances are outstanding. What really caught and impressed me was how the characters had developed from the first season. We learn more about their motivations. We get to see more of why they are the way they are. The ensemble acting is some of the best I've seen since THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

TED LASSO is the only current sitcom that could have me belly-laughing and then, a few minutes later, have me in tears when characters sing the Rick Astley hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up."

As you know, if you've seen the show's early episodes from the first season, Ted has a relentlessly positive attitude and personality as he, formerly a football coach in Kansas, now coaches a soccer team in London. He's definitely a fish out of water. We learn that underneath that sunny exterior is some serious heartbreak. 

The show makes you wonder about the folks you know who always have a kind word for you, who lift your spirits and make you laugh, those folks you can count on in a crisis. Some of those folks could be in your immediate family. Do they have a hidden heartbreak they try to heal with their optimistic outlooks? Are you, as a family member or friend, so close to them that you don't see the hurt?

The second season of TED LASSO is surprising, funny, heartbreaking and heartwarming. I loved it. Here's a trailer for the show.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...