Saturday, May 28, 2022

SOMEBODY FEED PHIL Again

 A while ago, I wrote about how much I was won over by the tall, lanky, affable, funny and wise food/travel documentary series host, Phil Rosenthal. He's the host of SOMEBODY FEED PHIL which is back for Season 5 on Netflix.

As you know, this was an emotionally brutal and infuriating week that came on the heels of the Buffalo, New York supermarket tragedy. I cried a lot this hearing the news out of Uvalde, Texas. I needed something to make me smile for a while and refresh my spirit. SOMEBODY FEED PHIL did the trick.

For Season 5, I went to Episode 5. Phil visits Madrid, the capital of Spain. Again, he presented a show that made me want to grab my passport, some casual clothing and a fork. As Phil says about Madrid, "It's glorious and the food is spectacular." 

Phil doesn't give you recipes. He shows you the final product and describes it to you as he happily eats it. We always learn something new about the location and the food. For instance, here in America, we have a mental image of a tortilla being a round, flat object. In Madrid, it's round, larger and has two sides -- a top and a bottom. The middle is filled with sliced potatoes, ham and cheese. I would love to fly to the food market Phil visited and have one. As usual, he engages with restaurant owners, chefs and customers. He shows the thrill of meeting new people, sharing food with them and embracing another culture.

In Spain, he takes us to one of the country's oldest restaurants -- a place once frequented by writer Ernest Hemingway -- and delights in its pork dishes. The Spanish people love pork. Then Phil takes us to a restaurant where the young, tattooed, friendly and award-winning chef is the future of Spanish cuisine. Believe me -- descriptions of his dishes would not do them justice. You have to see them. They truly are culinary works of art and Phil's tastebuds seem to be in heaven as he eats them. Here's a trailer for Season 5.


Thanks again, Phil Rosenthal, for making me smile -- and making me hungry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...