Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Hear Me Out with Nancy Giles

 She had a scene with Tom Hanks in the movie BIG. She had a scene with Geena Davis in the 1994 romantic comedy, ANGIE. She was a regular on the ABC TV drama series, CHINA BEACH. Nowadays, Nancy Giles is a familiar face on national TV as a contributor on CBS SUNDAY MORNING. Nancy does some great interviews.

Nancy Giles now has a podcast and I was a guest on it for one show this month, I'm about to give you information on how you can hear us on her THE GILES FILES podcast now in Season 3.

Go to www.Hurrdatmedia.com.

When you get there, look for *Search* in the upper right corner. Type Giles Files in Search. When you see Nancy, click on her to enjoy our June 23rd chat. 

If you have time to listen, PLEASE write Nancy a short review or comment.

We talk about entertainment news of this year and classic films of yesteryear. One thing we talk about is my 1989 visit on St. Patrick's Day with TV sitcom legend, Lucille Ball. She invited me to her home for cocktails. I was working on VH1 at the time. She'd seen my interview of Sally Field on my weeknight celebrity talk show and liked it.

While I was there, having a vodka tonic, I mentioned that my favorite film of hers was 1942's THE BIG STREET co-starring Henry Fonda. I told her that, if I had a revival movie theater, I'd make it a double feature with MIDNIGHT COWBOY

She loved the idea and got why I'd pair them. THE BIG STREET is a drama with Lucy as a tough, self-absorbed Manhattan nightclub singer. She winds up crippled, wheelchair-bound and somewhat of a New York City down-and-outsider. She's forgotten by her upscale friends. She learns about friendship from Fonda's character who's also somewhat of an invisible citizen. He's a busboy. Now disabled, the singer dreams of going to Florida but that seems to be an impossible dream. The busboy gets her there.

Think of the crippled, ailing Ratso (Dustin Hoffman) in MIDNIGHT COWBOY who wishes he could get out of New York City and go to Florida. Hustler Joe Buck (Jon Voight), just as much an outsider as Ratso, gets him there.

I think THE BIG STREET has Lucille Ball's best big screen performance. Here's a trailer.


I hope you enjoy Nancy and me on THE GILES FILES podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...