Friday, January 20, 2023

About Patricia Neal

 I saw on social media that today, January 20th, is the day the late, great Patricia Neal was born. Man, she was a good actress. A real steak 'n' potatoes, no frills, excellent actress. My mother loved her work and so did I. I first noticed Patricia Neal in my elementary school years thanks to local TV airings of the sci-fi classic from the 1950s, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. She played a widowed working mother in Washington, DC. Her husband, her little boy's father, was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. If you've seen the movie, you know that Michael Rennie played the tall, lean space alien who resembles an everyday man. He and a bad-ass robot have come to Earth in peace to stress the we earthlings need to get it together and stop making war. He meets the kind little boy and they strike up a fast and warm friendship. He meets the mother and is also taken with her warmth and concern about the world around her. He reveals his true self to her and his mission. She's a bit scared but she believes in his mission. In a critical moment, she protects the alien -- and saves the Earth -- by contacting his robot guard when he's become a victim of U.S.military aggression.

As a kid, I connected to Patricia Neal's looks and how she completely gave herself over to that character. She's an ordinary woman who performs an extraordinary deed. Look in Neal's eyes. She believes what she is doing



My absolute favorite pastime when I was growing up in L.A. was Rivers Family Night at the drive-in movies. We'd get into Dad's Plymouth -- Mom and Dad in the front seat and we kids in the back -- and head off to see a double feature at the Vermont, Compton, Century or Twin-Vue Drive-In. Those nights were like an early Christmas for me.

One week, I came up with an idea that would make for a night at the drive-in. I would do my weekend chores AND....I would mow the front lawn for Dad for some extra allowance and use that money to "treat" Mom and Dad to the movies. I made $5.00 -- big money for me back then. Adult ticket price at the Twin-Vue was $2.50 per grown up. Kids under 12 got in free. We 3 kids were under 12. Mom and Dad were touched by my manipulative thoughtfulness and picked out a movie -- HUD was the main feature on the Twin-Vue bill.

What a fabulous night. I was already a classic film fan by that young age. I was thrilled to see the name James Wong Howe in the credits. I recognized his name from the credits of YANKEE DOODLE DANDY when it aired on local Channel 9. Because we had had Asian-Americans as friends and neighbors, his name represented people who were part of my community. Paul Newman gave a classic performance as the self-absorbed, greedy modern cowboy and so did Patricia Neal as the wise, earthy, respected housekeeper who works for Hud's family and lives on the premises.  It's truly a "kitchen sink" performance in more ways than one. She's fond of Hud's father and younger brother. They're fond of her. She knows that Hud is a heel and she can deal with him.

HUD was based on a 1961 novel by Larry McMurtry. In the book, housekeeper Alma was a Black woman. But Hollywood Studios were timid, shall we say, about interracial casting back then especially in lead roles, especially for Black actresses. (Can you just imagine what Ruby Dee could've done with the role had Hollywood offered her the opportunity?)  Patricia Neal got the role in the 1963 release and did a terrific job.


When the movie ended, Mom enthusiastically said out loud, "She's gonna win the Oscar!" The nominations hadn't even been announced. When they were, Patricia Neal was a nominee.

She won the Oscar for Best Actress.

In the early 1990s, I was a regular contributor on a live weekend morning news program that aired on WNBC/Channel 4 in New York. One day, I attended a charity event. I heard someone say that Patricia Neal had just entered and I walked over hurriedly so I could see her up close in person.

She was walking through the crowd, spotted me and smiled. She shook my hand and said, "I watch you on TV. I know who you are."

That was one of the most thrilling experiences of my TV career. From growing up in South Central L.A. to that sweet moment in New York City. Wow. I couldn't wait to tell Mom about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...