Saturday, April 4, 2020

He Sang and Went PSYCHO

Need a little musical break? Let's take one now -- with actor Anthony Perkins. In his film career, he did romantic comedy, such as 1958's THE MATCHMAKER with Shirley Booth and Shirley MacLaine (the story that was musicalized into HELLO, DOLLY! on Broadway.)
He played the college athlete love interest in 1960's TALL STORY with Jane Fonda.

He starred in a biopic. Perkins played the emotionally troubled baseball star, Jimmy Piersall, in 1957's FEAR STRIKES OUT. He was a Quaker teen forced to fight in the Civil War in 1956's FRIENDLY PERSUASION, the drama that brought him his only Oscar nomination. He was in uniform with Martin Balsam for the 1970 World War II satire CATCH-22, directed by Mike Nichols. He was on board with Martin Balsam in 1974 for MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, directed by Sidney Lumet. But the movie role that made him internationally famous was that mama's boy cut-up Norman Bates in the 1960 masterpiece thriller, PSYCHO, directed by Alfred Hitchcock and co-starring Martin Balsam.
Before he took over the Bates Motel and in that Hitchcock classic, Anthony Perkins acted on Broadway. And he sang on Broadway. He starred in the 1959 musical, GREENWILLOW, with a score by Frank Loesser. Loesser gave us GUYS AND DOLLS. In GREENWILLOW, Anthony Perkins introduced "Never Will I Marry," a Loesser song that found popularity and was covered by top vocalists and jazz artists. Here's Perkins doing the song he introduced.


Perkins recorded albums featuring him singing standards with jazz arrangements. Here's his recording of "I Remember You," a gem of a song Johnny Mercer wrote for Dorothy Lamour to sing in Paramount's 1942 comedy, THE FLEET'S IN. (Backstory: Johnny Mercer had a brief romance with Judy Garland. He was married at the time. Judy inspired his lyrics for "I Remember You.")


1 comment:

  1. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstances. I give God all the glory for bringing Lord Zakuza into my life for helping me get my wife back that got me divorced for one year. I was the last person on earth to accept the fact that spells exist or work not until I was referred to Lord Zakuza online to who has helped so many people with his powerful spells. I had no other option than to give it a try because 3 months after the divorce, I was demoted at my place of work due to depression for I don't know what to do to get her back but thank God today for using Lord Zakuza to get my happiness and love life back within 48 hours. Just last week here, I was promoted back to my position and I'm here to share my own experience with this man called Lord Zakuza. I don't know what you are going through today but know that in all situation there's always a way out. Lord Zakuza also prepares spells like Lottery spell, job spell, spell to stop a divorce, spell cure for any diseases, protection spell, spell to become successful and wealthy E.T.C. Contact him now for any help via TEXT OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER with: +1 740-573-9483 and Email on: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...