Saturday, February 1, 2020

Black History Month and A RAISIN IN THE SUN

February is Black History Month. Early this morning on Twitter, I saw a posting that included a photo of GONE WITH THE WIND star, Hattie McDaniel. Above it: "In honor of Black History Month, I'll be recognizing many of the African-Americans who have won Oscars." McDaniel was the first black performer ever nominated for an Oscar and the first to win. She played "Mammy" in GONE WITH THE WIND. The Twitter post was from @ EveryOscarEver. I appreciate the attention. However, if you've read my posts, you know that I feel that kind of attention would be stronger if it included the other side of the story, a reason why we need Black History Month. We need it because our history is often unnoticed, ignored or discarded. Yes, Hattie McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar. She was also the first in a long, frustratingly long line of talented black women who were nominated for Oscars, mostly in the Best Supporting Actress category, and never got a second nomination because Hollywood wasn't/isn't a kingdom of equal opportunities. Many of those black actresses turned to TV for steady employment. Among the one-time only black female Oscar nominees: Hattie McDaniel, Ethel Waters, Dorothy Dandridge, Juanita Moore, Cicely Tyson, Diana Ross, Diahann Carroll, Angela Bassett, Alfre Woodard, Taraji P. Henson, Gabourey Sidibe, Beah Richards, Jennifer Hudson, Lupita Nyong'o and -- late in her career -- Ruby Dee, star of A RAISIN IN THE SUN.
A RAISIN IN THE SUN was written by the trailblazing African American playwright, Lorraine Hansberry. Ruby Dee was a member of the original Broadway cast, the cast that repeated its performances in the 1961 film adaptation. The movie was a Columbia Pictures production. 1961's A RAISIN IN THE SUN has one of the Oscar-nomination worthy performances Dee delivered in her film career. Ruby Dee's one nomination, in the Best Supporting Actress category, was for 2007's AMERICAN GANGSTER. Here she is with Sidney Poitier, Diana Sands and Claudia McNeil in 1961's A RAISIN IN THE SUN.
Right now, Scarlett Johansson is going into Oscars Sunday with two nominations. She's up in the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories. Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence has four Oscar nominations to her credit and she's only 29. But, then, she didn't have to turn to TV for steady work after her first Oscar nomination.

If @ EveryOscarEver wanted to salute African American women nominated for Best Actress, one for each day of Black History Month, he/she wouldn't have enough for a whole two weeks. As of now, only one black woman has won the Oscar for Best Actress -- Halle Berry for the 2001 drama, MONSTER'S BALL.

The Oscars ceremony has been pushed way up this year. The show next weekend, Sunday Feb. 9th. We have 20 actors nominated for Oscars -- Best Actor and Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Actress. There's only one black nominee -- British actress/singer Cythia Erivo for HARRIET. Did Academy members just not see Eddie Murphy, Da'Vine Joy Randolph and Wesley Snipes gives us comedy excellence in DOLEMITE IS MY NAME? Did they not see the dual dramatic role Lupita Nyong'o rocked in US? And I guess they just never played their screeners of HUSTLERS to see Jennifer Lopez play her financially-savvy stripper role as intelligently as Leonardo DiCaprio played his Wall Street character in 2013's WOLF OF WALL STREET. The fact that Alfre Woodard is not in the Best Actress category for her prison warden role in CLEMENCY makes me want to weep.

Here's some Hollywood history: The first black performer nominated for an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel for 1939's GONE WITH THE WIND. The second was Ethel Waters for playing a retired, uneducated domestic worker down South in the 1949 race drama, PINKY, directed by Elia Kazan.

In between those years, the next performer to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a dark-skinned black character was a white actress from England. I kid you not. Did you ever see William Wyler's 1939 classic, WUTHERING HEIGHTS? Remember the sad housekeeper in the first 20 minutes who sits and tells the story of Cathy and Heathcliff that we see in flashback? That actress was Flora Robson. Robson also played Queen Elizabeth I in THE SEA HAWK opposite Errol Flynn. She was about as white as Frosty the Snowman. But Warner Bros. put her in a Hollywood make-up chair, slapped some dark cosmetics on her, and she played the strict Haitian maid to Ingrid Bergman's character in the 1945 costume drama SARATOGA TRUNK.

If the role was good enough to get a woman an Oscar nomination, why didn't Hollywood let a black actress like Theresa Harris (BABY FACE, JEZEBEL, BUCK BENNY RIDES AGAIN) or Dorothy Dandridge (SUN VALLEY SERENADE, LADY FROM LOUISIANA, SUNDOWN) play the black maid? The first black male actor to receive an Oscar was James Baskett. It was an Honorary Oscar for his performance as Uncle Remus in Disney's SONG OF THE SOUTH. It's a live action/animation musical set on a plantation. Baskett sang "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" which won the Oscar for Best Song of 1946 and became Disney's theme song for decades until it was replaced by "Let It Go" from FROZEN. Baskett sang another number in SONG OF THE SOUTH that was covered by pop vocalists. It's the jaunty "Sooner or Later" (You're Gonna Be Comin' Around). He sang it in a duet with Hattie McDaniel, seen in the movie as the plantation cook and friend to Uncle Remus. In the list of the top grossing U.S. films of 1946, Disney's SONG OF THE SOUTH was number one.

Now for something I'm proud to point out during Black History Month. This is something I never, ever hear mentioned by the white hosts on movie channels who highlight the film accomplishments of black talent during Black History Month. I never, ever hear it mentioned by hosts in June when they honor LGBTQ images and accomplishments in film during Gay Pride Month. We need to recognize and praise this about the late, great Lorraine Hansberry.
The Chicago native saw her play produced on Broadway in 1959.  In 1961, the Columbia Pictures film adaptation of her A RAISIN IN THE SUN opened. In the opening credits, one card onscreen reads "Based On The Play By Lorraine Hansberry."  A few seconds later, we see this:
It's 1961. The Civil Rights Movement is in action. Black folks are demanding the right to vote, the right to a decent education, the right to marry outside their race. Interracial marriage was still illegal in several American states. Lorraine Hansberry was young, gifted, black -- and a lesbian. She was openly gay. How many black people by that time -- male or female, straight or gay -- had ever seen their name on a movie screen alone under the words "Screen Play By" in huge letters -- and in a film released by a major Hollywood studio? THAT was a major accomplishment.
Hansberry succumbed to cancer in 1965 at age 34. Her next play produced on Broadway was 1964's THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW.

The remarkable Rita Moreno won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her powerhouse performance in 1961's WEST SIDE STORY. Rita Moreno has completed filming her role in the Steven Spielberg version of WEST SIDE STORY which premieres in December of this year. Moreno is one of those Black/Latina actresses who turned to TV and stage after her one and only Oscar nomination. Hollywood had no other opportunities for her for seven years after WEST SIDE STORY. I hope Rita Moreno's role and performance in Spielberg's version is so strong that it brings her a historic second Oscar nomination for WEST SIDE STORY.  I would love to interview her and, among other things, talk to her about Lorraine Hansberry. She was in the cast of the late playwright's 1964 Broadway production.

Happy Black History Month.

11 comments:

  1. Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.
































    Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big Thanks to you doctor Just confirm am completely cure free from hsv with the help of his wonderful herbs medicine, may God continue to bless you and your wonderful herbs medicine thanks so much Dr Abubaka anyone looking for any herbs medicine should kindly contact Dr Abubaka to place your order for his lovely herbs medicine Via email: drabubaka@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348075551672

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. agaba and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. agaba telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. agaba (dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com) sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address (dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of HPV as soon as i feel the symptoms of HPV is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr. Onokun for natural treatment, it works wonders and amazingly. Ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these virus anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this disease. Any HPV or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Onokun to get ride of any disease forever his You can contact him on his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or you can reach out to me for more info about this treatment. text/call me i live in the USA (208) 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Akhanene.i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex whicmptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, i am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Akhanene God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem, Emai drakhanenespellhome@gmail.com.com or whatsapp or call him +2348168714427  

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever. his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or website via www.Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my HIV aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of HIV, but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try dr.odoma then i contacted him on his email on drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, it's a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my HIV status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was HIV negative, i never thought possible that dr.odoma can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and faith and after everything but dr odoma changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com or whatsapp Number: +2348100649947 he said that he is also specialize on the following diseases: HERPES, HIV, ALS, HPV, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER,SICKLE CELL, VIRGINAL DRYNESS, And Bring Back Your Ex back.  

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...